Yiddish for Pirates
Future Of The Image, The
Jacques Ranciere

Nights and Daze in Hollywood, with the Emphasis on Daze

Nights and Daze in Hollywood - Richard Henry Lee

Satisfying junk.  The would-be movie star Fanma Browo (nee Fanny Dopass) leaves New Jersey for Hollywood after her aunt leaves her a fortune of $50, 000--and this is in 1933, when a dollar was a dollar. She tells of her experiences with a vast array of conmen after her dough, in spirited letters to a friend back home, filled with bad spelling and even worse unintended puns about touching fannies and the like.  Fanny is so completely dumb that she happily lets herself be taken for various rides, despite the attempts of her friend back in New Jersey to warn her about how she's being taken. But in the end, her old boyfriend Slim from back home, who has followed her west and suddenly, magically, become a very powerful movie director, saves the day and marries her. It seems nowhere near as scandalous now as it did when I was ten and sneaking peaks at the copy in my parents' bookcase.  I wonder if either of them ever read it--I used to suspect that they just went to a used book store and bought enough books to fill the shelves once they had the bookcase, to make the place look tonier, because I never actually saw them reading all that much beside the newspaper and Reader's Digest Condensed Books.  And I suspect my grownup mom would have found Fanma's suggestive puns even more scandalous than I did when I was ten.  Luckily, she never caught me reading the parts of it that made me blush.